XFCE 4.4 beta

Martin Krois info at creylab.com
Thu May 4 18:43:29 CEST 2006

Nic Stevens wrote:
> samuel verstraete wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 May 2006 07:30:54 -0700
>> Nic Stevens <nic.stevens at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Ok ... here's a few things I see as issues with the beta. I don't
>>> know if I would call these bugs or not but from the perspective of a
>>> desktop user these are things that I found as either deficient or
>>> awkward:
>>>
>>> Desktop:
>>>
>>>    1. Desktop icon display should have transparent background on icon
>>>       text labels.
>>>

>> Has been discussed and will not be implemented.
>>
> IMHO this looks really ugly with a dark background. Reminds me of OLD
> versions of Windows (gag)

Perhaps a change in color instead, I *think* transparency might slow it
down for no apparent gain.

> 4.4 has, on the surface, the feature set I was hoping it to have. The
> reality, however, is that I would end up doing as I did with 4.2 which
> was to use nautilus for the desktop and file management. In the end,
> with 4.2, I ended up going back to gnome because I kept adding "gnome
> features" to xfce. To get the same functionality I want with 4.4 I will
> need to do the same thing.
>
> Perhaps I'm bitching too much and should just shut up and use gnome
> since that's what works has the features I want.

I left Gnome because of too many of those sorts of features. Speed is
most important IMHO, at least on my machine gnome was rather slowish,
then again, I did not put any effort into removing the eye candy to make
it faster.

Nautilus is also very slow on my machine when run i Xfce, Rox is much
much faster, and I'm looking forward to try Thunar.

/martin