Xfce 4.4.Beta Review

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed May 3 17:29:19 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 11:08 -0400, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> Is it absolutely required on the Mac? Even in Windows I can eliminate
> almost all the desktop icons, hide the few that I can't, and get by
> with the taskbar launchers and start menu. A habit I got into at work
> since I use Xfce at home.

	I don't know if you can turn it off or not but the Mac originally did
this as a productivity improvement.  They took the desktop metaphor and
actually made it a desktop.  You could have all kinds of crap on the
screen or very little, it was up to you.  But having a document or data
file on the desktop worked better because you only needed to click on
the data file to open it in it's app.  To me, the whole thing worked
better on System 7 and below, though.  I'm not a big fan of it in OS X.