XFdesktop

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 04:56:26 CET 2006

On 3/4/06, Pasi Orovuo <pasi.ov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 03:38:51PM -0700, Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) wrote:
> > ... was in fact not running. I guess nautilus stopped it. That took care of
> > it. Maybe a tool that would check the 'sanity' of Xfce given the thuggish
> > nature of some apps (like nautilus) would be a good idea.
> >
> >    Someone from dev might want to contact the xubuntu group
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu?highlight=%28xubuntu%29 and make sure they
> > avoid the pitfalls (via documentation if nothing else). ubuntu is
> > (understandibly) popular. I suspect xubuntu will be as well.
> >

> If I've understood correctly, what you've experienced here is a FAQ,
> clearly answered in the (surprise, surprise) FAQ. What else can we
> (or them, the devs) do?

IMO, there's NO reason that Nautilus should draw the desktop when
running it.  I can see the one program both managing the desktop and
acting as the file manager, but IMO there should be 'nautilus
--desktop' which runs on startup and 'nautilus' the filemanager which
is opened when you explicitly run it.

So yeah, the devs could do more, and this goes right along with what
others mentioned about GNOME trying so hard to be an end-to-end
solution that they don't cater to that modularity.

--
http://aconkling.blogspot.com