Xfce, ubuntu and gnome ...

Robin Haswell rob at digital-crocus.com
Sat Mar 4 22:40:05 CET 2006

Hm I'm not talking about preventing you from switching from GNOME to
XFCE, that should be pretty straight forward, my beef is that GNOME
seems to fall apart if you remove components that should be swappable,
like the window manager.

Has anyone else noticed that if you try to change window managers in
GNOME (which is obtuse anyway), gnome-session will inexplicably hang
while launching the WM for many minutes? I don't know if it's just me,
but I've tried 'echo export WINDOW_MANAGER=xfwm4 > ~/.gnomerc', hacking
the default.session files and even editing the gnome-wm script, and I
can't solve the problem. In the end I had to make sure xfdesktop started
before the WM just so I could do something while gnome-session sorts
itself out.

I like gnome, it's got some bloody great helper apps that take the
tedium out of running a desktop Linux system, and help me Get Stuff Done
(tm), but its constant patronisation of its users really pisses me off
sometimes.