error compiling xffm

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Mar 3 20:53:30 CET 2006

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Foxy wrote:

> I've got another problem. Since xfce 4.3.0svn made its way to Ubuntu
> Dapper I used it from repositories. However, xffm is not there, so I
> compiled it from svn. Now I cannot figure out how to get xffm plugin in
> mcs manager to be able to configure it.
>
> I've got the following packages installed:
>
> libxfce4mcs-client3
> libxfce4mcs-dev
> libxfce4mcs-manager3
> xfce4-mcs-manager
> xfce4-mcs-manager-dev
> xfce4-mcs-plugins
>
> I wonder which one  may need to reinstall to get xffm mcs plugin? I have
> already tried obvious xfce4-mcs-plugins but no avail.

The xffm mcs plugin is build with xffm. In order for mcs manager to load
it, xffm must be build with the same prefix as the mcs manager. If your
prefix is /usr/local, then at /usr/local/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins you should
have:

libxffmsettings.la  libxffmsettings.so

along with other plugins. None the less, xffm will not build the plugin if
libxfce4mcs-client-1.0 is not found or is < 4.2.0.

A reason for not finding it is that the PKG_CONFIG_PATH is pointing
somewhere else, or that the package name has changed.

You can also set the environment variables that the mcs manager
changes by exporting them from your .xinitrc file.

Look in xffm/config.h to see if HAVE_LIBXFCE4MCS_CLIENT is defined or not.

regards,