Can't get rid of Gnome Desktop

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Mar 1 16:35:34 CET 2006

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:26:59 +0000, Robin Haswell <rob at digital-crocus.com> wrote:
> Hm this isn't the correct method. You should unset
> /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop using gconf-editor. If the FAQ
> says otherwise it should be changed.

here is what the Xfce ML says that is sent out every 2 weeks to this list:

+ My desktop or desktop menu has disappeared!?

It appears that xfdesktop is no longer in control of the desktop. Often
xfdesktop has died, or some other program took over the desktop. Make
sure that xfdesktop is still running first. Nautilus takes over the
desktop by default too. Please start nautilus with the --no-desktop
flag, or use gconfig-editor and unset the flag that tells nautilus to
handle the desktop. Start xfdesktop again and you should be OK again.

Auke