Where to set user specific environments?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Jun 29 00:06:11 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 11:24:16PM +0200, Alexander Toresson wrote:

> You wanted a solution that was completely independent of the window
> manager/desktop environment you use.

I was looking for a list of methods for every single window manager to
call a common setup script. Some do support it by default, other's
don't. I've given this up and used the desktop-independent but more or
less linux-specific /etc/X11/Xsession.d-method. Not yet sure whether
this is better.

> You made X source ~/.profile before starting anything -- this kind of
> solution would be a definite solution. Why not ask the Xorg team or
> whoever you'd ask to, for example, source ~/.xprofile by default?

Yup, that's the solution. After all, the gnome method in debian works
this way. But I am not sure whether the /etc/X11/Xsession.d method was
built by xfree86 or the debian managers. Does it exist on other
operating systems such as BSD?

regards
Hadmut