Where to set user specific environments?

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Wed Jun 28 23:11:47 CEST 2006

BTW, I finally decided to use a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d which
sources $HOME/.profile

This is completely independent of xfce.

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:57:14PM -0400, Andrew Conkling wrote:

> > - It highly depends on the distribution and the xfce version. You'd
> >   have to continuously change and update that file
>
> Where did you get this information?  This directory has been used
> since 4.2, which has been out for almost 18 months.  Any distro that
> obfuscates the use of that file isn't worth using, IMO.

This was about the contents of the file, not the directory. BTW,
things must work as well if the admin decides not to use packages, but
to compile everything separately, and thus using /usr/local and
/usr/local/etc instead of /usr and /etc.

> > - It moves things into the users reponsibility which don't belong there
>
> Then modify the global xinitrc to do this work.  You are asking for a
> file in someone's HOME directory, so that is still in the realm of
> "user responsibility," no?

This discussion is pointless.

If I want to set e.g. PER5LIB, RUBYLIB, DEBEMAIL, LESS, EDITOR, then
this *is* user dependent, since it is about the values. It is not part
of xcfe or the distribution.

xcfe's initrc is *not* user dependent, and it contains code that keeps
things together, so it is part of xcfe and/or the distribution.

It *is* important to keep these things separate. No desktop designer
should ever confuse these things.

> > - It would work with xfce only. I'd prefer a file which works with any
> >   kind of login, like ssh, console, fvwm, gnome, kde, xfce. Thus, no
> >   desktop-specific things are to be included.
>
> Then why are you asking here?

Because it was xfce which did not provide a clean solution.

> For general login prompts, I second the
> suggestion to use the shell's files or some other global file that
> every user would load.

yup. But logging in into desktops in principle never runs a login
shell.

> So why not do that?

I'd like to do that, but xfce does not provide a clean drop point.

However, I've decided to completely workaround xfce.

regards
Hadmut