Noob Part 2: Media automounting ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 19 01:58:12 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 19:31 -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Again, just want to do it the "right way" (in Fedora's view), but
> without GNOME.  Been Google'ing, hitting the Fedora docs, unofficial
> Fedora FAQ, etc...  Still looking for info, but I'd figure I'd post here
> -- since someone was previously very helpful on the StarOffice bit
> rather quickly.

Okay, now I really see how ignorant I am.  I've really been doing too
much server stuff and haven't been hacking the 'ole desktop -- just
using GNOME and not caring how it worked.  I've started reading up on
HAL as well as integration with udev, dbus and the various gnome-*
components (-mount, -power, -volume-manager, etc...).  Damn I've really
let me desktop knowledge slip in this age of kernel 2.6 and "it just
works."

Anyhoo, I assume my older XFCE 4.2.3 install on Fedora Core 5 is not
HAL-aware or doesn't have various support agents yet?  If that is the
case, based on what I read, I should just go ahead and create
the /etc/fstab** or automount entries as I wish -- correct?

Any other insight, RTFM responses (especially if this is documented
somewhere and I'm just an ignorant fool that didn't see this), etc...
are always appreciated!

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  I read if /etc/fstab entries exist for removable devices, then
GNOME's HAL/mount/volmgr just doesn't attempt to use them.

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com