Noob Part 2: Media automounting ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 19 01:31:05 CEST 2006

Okay, Noob Part 2.

I'm fairly certain this isn't a XFCE question, and more like a Fedora
Core question (or at least how it leverages GNOME) but I'm kinda curious
what XFCE users do (especially those of you running Fedora Core).  I'm
kinda embarrassed about asking this, especially since I just want to
create an automounter entry and be done with it, but I'd rather check.

For the last few version of Fedora-based distros, when I stick in a CD
or DVD, /media/cdrecorder has been automounted under GNOME.  There is no
entry in /etc/fstab or anything in the /etc/auto.* automounter tables.
So I assumed it was either a udev/hotplug/whatever solution or something
maybe actively done by GNOME (or a service under it).

Now that XFCE is running, this no longer happens.  So I guess it wasn't
a udev/hotplug/whatever solution, but something running under GNOME.

Do most XFCE users just put in the necessary /etc/fstab entry or
automounter table?  Or is there another facility?  Be it in XFCE, or
maybe something provided in Fedora Core?

Again, just want to do it the "right way" (in Fedora's view), but
without GNOME.  Been Google'ing, hitting the Fedora docs, unofficial
Fedora FAQ, etc...  Still looking for info, but I'd figure I'd post here
-- since someone was previously very helpful on the StarOffice bit
rather quickly.

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com