What happened to my panel?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Jun 18 17:05:10 CEST 2006

Patrick Wiseman schreef:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 at 3:52pm, Jean-Fran�ois Wauthy wrote:
>
> :Le samedi 17 juin 2006 � 09:15 -0400, Patrick Wiseman a �crit :
> :> On Debian testing (Xfce version 4.3.90.1) - I just upgraded to this
> :> version, and my panel is a truncated default.  How do I recover my
> :> precious setup?
> :
> :Except by hand, you can't. The configuration files and plugin interface
> :have been changed for 4.4.
>
> Well, that's the kind of lack of consideration I expect from KDE or GNOME
> developers, not from Xfce.  Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out.

That makes no sense at all. GNOME and KDE have lots of developers
(although probably not so much on specific key modules), and have a much
larger community, so it is more likely they will have the resources to
do this right.

Anyway, the new panel is a complete rewrite that was required to provide
much-needed features like multiple panels, drag and drop support for
adding/moving/removing items and protection against crashing plugins by
making them external processes.

Given the available resources it was basically impossible to provide
proper conversion from the old configuration to the new configuration.
Mind you, I'm not sure it would have been easy to do this at all, even
with enough resources.

Does this mean I should not have done the rewrite? I'd like to think the
advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but I certainly could be wrong.

	Jasper