Noob-Qs: StarOffice 8 menu fonts, xfterm4 with spaces in font name ...

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Jun 15 22:57:20 CEST 2006

Bryan J. Smith wrote :
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 22:24 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>> GTK uses the XSETTINGS protocol [1].
>> But GTK != GNOME,
>
> Yes, I know.  And too many developers rely on only GNOME for settings
> that GTK+ is providing, and could be accessed regardless of whether or
> not GNOME is running.

You need an XSETTINGS manager to be able to change XSETTINGS values on
the fly.

> I've written a little, old GTK+ 1.x code myself.  ;->

But gtk-1.2 did not use XSETTINGS, just plain old text file
configuration (~/.gtkrc).

> I stopped hacking .Xresources awhile back, and never bothered to learn
> the Xt or GTK+ standards, APIs, etc...  It seems a number of developers
> seem to do that as well, despite the fact that Xt, GTK+, etc... don't
> require GNOME.

Gtk doesn't use Xt ressources, so hacking .Xresources won't help anyway.
Motif, Ahena widgets and Xt apps use Xresources.

> Yep, I know that too.  ROX is actually Xt based with some GTK+ features
> last time I checked.

Humm, no; ROX desktop (http://rox.sf.net) uses GTK and Python, no Xt in
ROX as far as know. Maybe you're confused with the FOX toolkit
(www.fox-toolkit.org/)? But I doubt FOX uses Xt either.

>> but as much compatible with the standard.
>> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fxsettings_2dspec
>
> Thanx for the ref.  I'll update myself.

You're welcome.

Cheers,