Noob-Qs: StarOffice 8 menu fonts, xfterm4 with spaces in font name ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 15 22:32:07 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 22:24 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> GTK uses the XSETTINGS protocol [1].
> But GTK != GNOME,

Yes, I know.  And too many developers rely on only GNOME for settings
that GTK+ is providing, and could be accessed regardless of whether or
not GNOME is running.

I've written a little, old GTK+ 1.x code myself.  ;->

I'm not very knowledgeable with anything recent in the last 5 years
though, I fully admit.  I have always used GNOME since 1.053 on-ward, so
it is always running.

I stopped hacking .Xresources awhile back, and never bothered to learn
the Xt or GTK+ standards, APIs, etc...  It seems a number of developers
seem to do that as well, despite the fact that Xt, GTK+, etc... don't
require GNOME.

> and other desktops such as Xfce or ROX also implement an XSETTINGS
> manager, different from the one from GNOME,

Yep, I know that too.  ROX is actually Xt based with some GTK+ features
last time I checked.

> but as much compatible with the standard.
> [1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fxsettings_2dspec

Thanx for the ref.  I'll update myself.

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com