Noob-Qs: StarOffice 8 menu fonts, xfterm4 with spaces in font name ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 15 21:58:11 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 20:48 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> I'm not sure about the latests openoffice and I don't know on what
> version staroffice is based,

StarOffice 6/7 are OpenOffice.org 1.0/1.1.
StarOffice 8 is OpenOffice.org 2.0.
I believe SO8 Update 3 is OpenOffice.org 2.02 fixes plus Sun's.

> but older versions of openoffice used an ugly hack to determine if it
> was running in GNOME.

Wouldn't surprise me by the difference I see.

> You could try adding the following lines to the appropriate startup file:
> # fool OOo into thinking GNOME is running
> # incredibly ugly hack
> xprop -root -format GNOME_SM_PROXY 8i -set GNOME_SM_PROXY 1

SOaB -- it worked!  All of the GTK+ (and XFCE?) font, window and other
settings/themes are totally used!  THANK YOU!

In fact, to make a guess, I assume this is a GTK+ settings/usage deal --
eh?  In any case, I'd _love_ to know what X properties SO8 is looking
for.  Heck, I should load OpenOffice.org 2.02 on Fedora Core 5 to see if
it has the same issue.  If so, then it's probably something that the OOo
guys can take care of, which would go into the next set of SO updates.

BTW, Google searches also show this is being used for Adobe Acrobat
Reader too.  Most people were running Acrobat Reader 5 -- I'm running
version 7 which worked fine without the hack.

> I didn't know about it at least. It's not immediately clear to me how
> this could be solved, either.

I'll take a look at the code and see if I can't figure it out.  I'm
kinda curious how the parameters are being passed.

Is there an issue in general with this and the GNU argv stuff?  I mean,
I've never really written any shell or C code that had to account for
spaces in a parameter -- so it seems like it could be.

But what really bothered me most is that I couldn't "escape" it.  1, 2
or even 3 backslashes (\) before a single (') or double (") quote didn't
address it.  I've _never_ seen that happen in a wrapper shell script or
C code -- it usually takes care of it.

Although I could try 5 or 7 backslashes (\), double escape the backslash
and triple escape the quote?  Maybe there are 2 sets of wrappings/argv
calls?

--
Bryan J. Smith           Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com