about symbolic links on Desktop

nusret nbalci_l at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 21:36:13 CEST 2006

--- Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> nusret wrote:
>
> > To have a right_click menu is, of course, a very
> goo thing. Problem
> > is: it's just a copy of system menu. This is just
> duplication and you
> > have to do roundabout things to get the needed
> basic functionality.
> > For example, there are no copy/cut/paste, create,
> etc. menu items on
> > this menu. When I need these (which i do very
> often), I have to open
> > a Thunar window (from system menu :)), go to the
> Desktop folder
> > there, and right click within Thunar. It's much
> less fancier, but
> > functionally better designed context menu. you may
> not agree, but I'm
> > pretty sure you see my point.
>
> 	I'm still trying to figure out what it is you are
> trying to do.    What
> are you "copy/cut/paste, create"ing?  I'm not trying
> to be difficult, I
> just want to know.
>
> Joe

When I copy a file from a folder, I cannot paste it on
the Desktop by simply right-clicking in xfdesktop
view. i can do that if I switch to Thunar. Similarly
for the others.

"Send to Desktop..." is about putting a symbolic link
to some executable file, a document, or a folder, in
the Desktop folder. It's not about workplaces.

About the Menu plugin on the panel vs. shell context
menu (Desktop menu): At least in my case, on Xubuntu
6.06, things do not work as they should. For example,
I just discovered that If I choose a custom menu file
for panel menu plugin, it stops working! I just found
out that... Please note that I like the current menu
for use with panel menu, it's good for that. But to
use that also for the Desktop context menu is just
duplication, and reduces functionality I mentioned
above.  I followed Andrew's directions to customize
default desktop menu, but this time panel plugin
caused problem... At this stage, some things seems
broken: i simply don't know whether it's a Xubuntu
issue, or a beta 1 xfce 4.4 issue.

One more oddity is this: I created a symbolic link to
the Desktop folder in xfdesktop desktop view, then
dleted that. It deleted, not only the symbolic link,
but actual Desktop folder! this doesn't happen for
other files. Actually, I don't know if this caused the
problem with menu plugin, although I created a Desktop
folder myself...