about symbolic links on Desktop

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 20:28:25 CEST 2006

On 6/1/06, nusret <nbalci_l at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Andrew Conkling <andrew.conkling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/1/06, nusret <nbalci_l at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Now, I see people prefer different approaches. As
> > > said, *I* don't like the current one (i guess it's
> > > just like the one in KDE, right?--I am not sure
> > > though), so I wanted to know if it's possible to
> > > modify.
> >
> > Indeed, and this is what I've done since 4.2.  I
> > like to have the menu
> > plugin on my panel with the full menu (i.e. what you
> > get with Ubuntu),
> > and I like to make a short right-click menu with my
> > most-used apps for
> > the desktop.  Let me know if such a configuration
> > interests you and I
> > can post some details on how to do that.
>
> I would certainly be interested. This can give me
> further clues about how to proceed to make some
> customizations. I would appreciate it if you could
> post some pointers/instructions.

OK.  First of all, xfdesktop always uses
~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml, so that's the one you have to use on
the desktop.  You can configure which file you use for the panel menu
plugin (in the plugin properties), so that's the one I use for the
full menu.  (Aptly, I name the file bigmenu.xml.)  You can copy it in
Thunar or (IIRC) open and save as that from the menu editor.

Once you do that, it's just a matter of customizing each to suit your taste!