xfprint and samba

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 16:24:27 CEST 2006

Rainer Fischer wrote:
> I am using the printer interface coming with
> Xubuntu 6.06 LTS kernel 2.6.15-26 and
> xfce 4.3.90.2..

xfce also came with Xubuntu I suppose, you didn't compile and/or install
it on your own?
I'm asking because recently there were some people who had problems with
not properly uninstalled old xfce installations (which resulted in
problems with xfce4.4beta).

>>> With english language support a window opens,
>>> but does not allow entries.
>>>

>> When you do what? Run xfprint4 from console?
>>

> No, I did not try this till now.

So, what did you do to make that window show up? What window is this,
the xfprint4 dialog? What entries were you expecting to make?

>>> The cups web interface suggests smb:// for
>>> the Samba Printer.  Maybe the reason is a not
>>> properrly configured Samba Client.
>>>

>> Does the printer work from other applications that use different
>> printing frontends (e.g. OpenOffice or Gnome stuff)?
>>

> Up to now I used ist only for printing
> gedit documents (and the cups printer testpage).

... and up pops the gnome printing plugin dialog. But did printing work
(I guess it did) and does the Gnome printing dialog show your printer
and everything correctly?
As a test, you could try printing from console using lpr

$ lpr -P <your_printer> /home/user/some_file.txt

If that works, try printing a file directly with xfprint4, i.e.

$ xfprint4 /home/user/some_file.txt

That should bring up the xfprint dialog, which lets you select a printer
and set other options.

I suggest that you first check your CUPS, i.e. the printer installation.
The fact that the test page printed does not necessarily mean all is
fine, there might be some access right issues. I don't know if there
were problems with the xfprint4 version you're using, I never had any.
Maybe it's an Xubuntu thing and you should check their forums.

And please provide as much information as possible, makes it easier to
locate the problem.

HTH,   Nick.