xfprint and samba

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 15:10:01 CEST 2006

Jean-François Wauthy wrote:
> Le jeudi 27 juillet 2006 à 14:15 +0200, Nikolas Arend a écrit :
>
>>> Otherwise: Maybe that only ipp:// ist supported
>>> in xfce?
>>>
>>> How can I verify this
>>>
>> Actually, I don't know much about xfprint. Whether or not its proper
>> functioning depends on the protocol via that CUPS talks to the printer,
>> I don't know. Xfprint's maintainer should know all about it.
>>

> xfprint (in its CUPS mode) relies on CUPS API to get the printer list
> and to send jobs to the printer, so i don't understand why you're
> talking about ipp:// here.

Maybe for clarity someone should point out that xfprint4 implements a
printing _frontend_ for various printing _systems_, like CUPS. So proper
printing relies on a properly configured printing system. If the latter
condition is fulfilled, printing via xfprint should just work. If it
doesn't with xfprint, but does with other printing frontends, it might
indicate a bug in xfprint. But I think that's not the case here.
Which printing protocol (ipp:// or smb:// or whatever) CUPS uses, is
irrelevant for xfprint, as it only uses the underlying printing system.

Hope that helps people,

Nick.