missing window decorations with openoffice windows

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Jul 26 16:22:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:27:16 +0530, Richard van der Hoff
<richardv at mxtelecom.com> wrote:

> Biju Chacko wrote:

>>> Sadly not :(. As I said, it does work fine for everything other than
>>> openoffice, so xfwm4 clearly is running - just not working properly.
>>
>> Try running 'xprop' to find out what properties OO.o is setting. Compare
>> that with the settings of some other window. That might give you a hint.
>> xfwm4 has been pretty stable in this area for several years now so it's
>> likely to be a problem with your specific OO.o build. OO.o 2.x works
>> fine
>> for me, btw.
>
> :/
>
> I gave xprop a go (thanks for that), and couldn't see anything
> particularly suspicious. The only thing that looks related and is unique
> to openoffice is this one:
>
> _MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0xf, 0x1, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0
>
> - but, as I understand it, that means all window furniture should be
> enabled.
>
> Is it possible that this is being misinterpreted?

I notice that it is *not* being set by my copy of OO.o, so yeah it might
be the culprit. I'd suggest that you post the output of xprop in it's
entirety to the list and wait for Olivier to get back from vacation. He's
the only one with enough knowledge about xfwm4 to figure out what is
happening.

As a workaround, I'd suggest you use Metacity or something as your WM.
There's no reason to dump xfce as a desktop just because one component
doesn't work for you. That has always been one of our design goals. :)

-- b