settings manager/menus don't work, desktop icon funnies

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 03:06:44 CEST 2006

Sun, 23 Jul 2006 15:53:22 -0400 - Carl <carlsymons at gmail.com> wrote :

Hi,

> 1. Desktop Rightclick menu works except for most choices under
> Settings -Settings-Autostarted applications works
> -Settings-menu editor works
> -None of the other choices bring up a window. They do however take
> window focus away from whatever is active on the desktop (such as
> this email message). It is as if something is running, but not
> visible.

  I don't know what is wrong.  I will try a guess, is xfce-mcs-manager
running?  Mmh :/

  Otherwise, do you have mcs plugins in {prefix}/lib/xfce4/mcs-plugins/?

> 2. AltF2 doesn't bring up a dialog box

  Is the package xfce-utils installed?  It provides xfrun4.

> 3. Desktop icons appear as a sheet of paper with a dogeared
> corner...except every once in a while. Example--rightclick on
> desktop, choose Settings/Desktop Settings; focus leaves email
> message, 2 desktop icons momentarily appear as file folder and trash
> bin, focus returns to email message and icons revert to paper sheets.
> The Desktop Settings window does not appear.
> 4. All Thunar icons are paper sheet

  Install an icon theme and set it up in Settings > User interface >
Icon theme "when it will work :)".

  You can also try the next, put this line:
gtk-icon-theme-name = "Tango-xfce"
inside your ~/.gtkrc-2.0

  You can download the icon set Tango-xfce here:
http://www.dsslive.org/xfce/Tango-xfce.tar.gz
extract it to ~/.icons

> 5. Sometimes (haven't noticed cause/effect) the desktop icons
> disappear and desktop rightclick has no apparent effect. If I
> run /usr/bin/xfdesktop as a panel launcher button, the icons reappear
> and desktop rightclick works.

  It has been a long time since xfdesktop crashed here.  But you are
doing the only and right thing, run it again.

Cheers,
Mike
--
 http://massonnet.org/ Mike Massonnet (mmassonnet)           ,-.