Where to set user specific environments?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Jul 2 22:22:01 CEST 2006

Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> BTW, I finally decided to use a script in /etc/X11/Xsession.d which
> sources $HOME/.profile
>
> This is completely independent of xfce.

	It's also quite queer, too.  But the key is who will manage the box.
If it works for them then it's fine.

> This was about the contents of the file, not the directory. BTW,
> things must work as well if the admin decides not to use packages, but
> to compile everything separately, and thus using /usr/local and
> /usr/local/etc instead of /usr and /etc.

	This is currently what xfce does.  On my laptop I have things under
/usr/local but on my desktop under /usr.  Same config files in the same
places on both boxes.

>>> - It would work with xfce only. I'd prefer a file which works with any
>>>   kind of login, like ssh, console, fvwm, gnome, kde, xfce. Thus, no
>>>   desktop-specific things are to be included.
>> Then why are you asking here?
>
> Because it was xfce which did not provide a clean solution.

	That's the same thing as saying that the freedesktop project does not
provide clean solutions.  All config stuff that is WM/Desktop specific
is, of course, under the purview of the WM/Desktop.  The stuff you were
asking about was non-desktop specific things that had nothing to do with
xfce.  That's why the question was asked of why you were asking non-xfce
questions in an xfce list.

> yup. But logging in into desktops in principle never runs a login
> shell.

	Maybe back a decode or so ago.  Not now.  Every xterm should have the
-ls switch set on it.

>> So why not do that?
>
> I'd like to do that, but xfce does not provide a clean drop point.
>
> However, I've decided to completely workaround xfce.

	Goody for you.  It's Miller time.