Extremely slow startup and exit button is dead

Richard Boyce boyce at ccdc.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 10:42:36 CET 2006

Hi Delbert,

Delbert Franz wrote:
> I have compiled xfce 4.2.3.2 from the source tarball under the current
> release of the x86_64 AMD64 port for Debian.  It took a while to figure
> out how to solve problems with the compile of xfce4-session-manager.
> configure did not flag the missing development files for  libice and
>  libsm.  The binary libraries were there, but not the development libraries.
> This may be unique to Debian.  I did get a clean and error free compile
> after I installed the dev library for each of these.

That's Debian - you get what you ask for, and not much more!

> However, the start up of xfce was so slow, I at first thought it was in a tight
> loop:)  I timed it and it takes 50 seconds from logon to the splash screen
> vanishing (I use the simple splash screen).  Each stage of the process
> as reported on the simple splash screen takes many seconds.  On the same
> hardware, the 32-bit OS and 32-bit compile of xfce 4.2 takes about 5 seconds
> to load and have the splash screen vanish.  I have no current idea of what
> is taking so long:) Note: I am not preloading anything from KDE or GNOME.
> That is known to slow the startup.  Who knows, maybe that is what I am getting
> even though I have not asked for it.  How would I tell if that is taking
> place?

I also am running the AMD64 Debian port, but I'm using the current
packages in 'testing', which are version 4.2.3.2, and they run just
fine. Very speedy - I haven't timed the login process but it must be
less than 5 seconds. Perhaps you've got something in your
~/Desktop/Autostart that's failing messily.

If not, my advice would be to use the packages!

Richard

--
Richard Boyce
SysEng, CCDC