Extremely slow startup and exit button is dead

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Fri Jan 27 00:53:16 CET 2006

I have compiled xfce 4.2.3.2 from the source tarball under the current
release of the x86_64 AMD64 port for Debian.  It took a while to figure
out how to solve problems with the compile of xfce4-session-manager.
configure did not flag the missing development files for  libice and
 libsm.  The binary libraries were there, but not the development libraries.
This may be unique to Debian.  I did get a clean and error free compile
after I installed the dev library for each of these.

However, the start up of xfce was so slow, I at first thought it was in a tight
loop:)  I timed it and it takes 50 seconds from logon to the splash screen
vanishing (I use the simple splash screen).  Each stage of the process
as reported on the simple splash screen takes many seconds.  On the same
hardware, the 32-bit OS and 32-bit compile of xfce 4.2 takes about 5 seconds
to load and have the splash screen vanish.  I have no current idea of what
is taking so long:) Note: I am not preloading anything from KDE or GNOME.
That is known to slow the startup.  Who knows, maybe that is what I am getting
even though I have not asked for it.  How would I tell if that is taking
place?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, is that the exit button on the panel is dead.
A click on it has no effect:(  Nothing happens at all.  All the other parts of
the panel work as they should and the startup of applications so selected is rapid
and perhaps a bit more so than on the 32-bit platform.  Again I have no
current idea of why this one button does not work.  AFAIKS xfce4-session-logout
is compiled with no errors. My only exit method is alt-cntl-backspace--a bit
severe I think!

I have a dual-head setup with a unique desktop on each head.  This works fine
in the 32-bit case with a local work around to preserve the panel settings
in the second head.  I see no reason why this should be any different for
the 64-bit case.

I have run out of options to check.

                                     Delbert