Screen resolution - 600x480 -> 1024x768

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Sat Jan 21 16:54:40 CET 2006

How does one change the screen resolution under xfce4 4.2.2?

I've installed Ubuntu using the server installation method and then
installed xfce4 using apt-get on some low-end hardware (<400 MHz,
<128 MB RAM, <10 GB HDD).  During the installation of the X Window
System, Ubuntu asked me what screen modes I would like to which I
answered 1024x768, 800x600, and 640x480.  When xfce starts up and I
go to "Xfce Menu > Settings > Display Settings" only 640x480 shows.

I know the video and monitor can do 1024x768, because I can boot
Knoppix 4.0.2 on the machine just fine with icewm.

Where would I look to enable 1024x768?  Is this an xfce issue, an X
server issue, a driver issue, something else?

Thanks in advance for pointers in the right direction.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent