Dual head, independently choose from same desktops?

Jonathan Gardner bohemian72 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:32:08 CET 2006

On 1/12/06, Ben Tilly <btilly at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS Why would I want such a bizarre thing?  Because I put different
> projects on different virtual desktops.  But often while working on
> one project I'll need to refer to stuff from another, and I can't
> predict what combination of things I'll want to look at.  Right now I
> handle this by switching desktops back and forth, but it would be much
> nicer to just have an arbitrary combination of them up to look at.

At work, where I do have two monitors but with Windows, I do something
similar even though the two monitors are functioning as one really wide
monitor. I simply have one application or project up on the left and a
different one up on the right. Actually, it's not exactly like having one
wide monitor because if I maximize it will maximize to the monitor (however,
I can drag or stretch a window across both screens). I can minimize apps and
when I restore them they pop up in their respective monitors. Sounds a lot
like what you want and with the extra real estate, maybe you can do what you
want without worrying about having more than one virtual desktop up at a
time.
Of course, maybe what you want is entirely possible in which case go with
that.

Jonathan