Dual head, independently choose from same desktops?

Stephan Hässelbarth videns at freenet.de
Thu Jan 12 13:05:40 CET 2006

Ben Tilly wrote:
> I am trying to figure out what
> http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=overview&lang=en means when it says
> that xfwm4 to natively support multi-head and multi-screen.  In
> particular I want to see whether it will allow xfce to do what I want.
>  (It well may not.)
>
> Here is what I want.  Imagine a system with 2 identical monitors.  I
> would like them to be able to independently choose virtual desktops
> from the same list.  For instance if I had 4 desktops, then while
> desktop 2 is up on the first monitor, I'd like to be able to look at
> any of 1-4 on the second.  (Looking at desktop 2 on both would be
> useless but doable.)
>
> I know that I can have 2 X servers running, and then have independent
> sets of desktops on the two monitors.  This isn't what I want because
> it doesn't let a given desktop sometimes be on my right, and sometimes
> on my left.  I'd like to not tie the desktop to the monitor.
>
> I know that I can have one X server running and switch things in
> tandem.  This isn't what I want either because I'll often want to
> leave what I have on my left alone while I change what is on my right.
>
> I don't currently have the two monitors set up, but expect to within a
> few weeks.  I also don't currently use xfce, but would gladly switch
> if it can do what I want.  (Conversely I don't want to spend time
> figuring it out if it doesn't do what I want in the end.)

Hi Ben,

you can start one xfce session on two monitors, even if you don't simply want to clone one
session. However, you then can't  move windows between them; you'll have to start each program
on the head, that you want it to work on, that's it. Xfce supports different panel and taskbar
configurations for each monitor. But each desktop will have it's own virtual desktops...
I do not know whether your demands can be fullfilled anyway.

Regards, Stephan