X environment

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 03:26:38 CET 2006

On 2/27/06, Jan <jan.enrico at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using Gentoo with Xfce as desktop (with GDM for login).
> In file /etc/profile.env I have line:
> export LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
>
> However for certain user I want LC_COLLATE to be
> LC_COLLATE='ja_JP.UTF-8', therefore I set it in
> ~user/.bashrc
>
> The problem is that in xterm I get it set properly however when running
> (for example evolution mail client) from xfce menu
> LC_COLLATE='ja_JP.UTF-8' is apparently ignored. (Addresses in evolution
> are not sorted properly).
>
> Why is my bash environment and X environmet different ?

AFAIK, .bashrc is only loaded for interactive sessions (e.g. an xterm)
and .bash_profile is the one in which you want to put it.  Also, I
think you should export it (i.e. "export LC_COLLATE='ja_JP.UTF-8'") to
make it available to everything else in your session.  Still yet,
maybe it should be in double quotes, or not at all?

Sorry about all the ambiguity, but I'm no bash expert, and this is an
Xfce list. :)

--
http://aconkling.blogspot.com