Nvidia and multihead

Robin Haswell rob at digital-crocus.com
Sun Feb 26 05:46:47 CET 2006

Hey guys

I noticed there were some discussions about multihead on here recently
(the /. one), so I though I'd add my $0.02 to this. My work recently
lavished second monitors on us all, and in the office I use a
bastardised XFCE front-end / GNOME services & sessions / e17 relics
hybrid. Anyway xfwm4 is my window manager. What all this boils down to
is, xfwm4 kicks ass with either Xinerama or Twinview, there's no
usability difference between the two whatsoever. However, painting is
glacially slow with Xinerama, and judging from Xorg's CPU usage I'd say
Xinerama nukes the hardware acceleration, but with Twinview everything's
nice and zippy so I'm happy.

Dunno if this post means anything to anyone but hopefully it might one
day help someone.

-Rob