OT: Why planet gnome doesn't tell all the truth?

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:19:14 CET 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 07:41:24PM +0100, Xavier Otazu wrote:
> xterm: 4.3 sec
> gnome term v2.12: 3.1 sec
> gnome term v2.14: 1.0 sec
>
> I know that many factors may change results, and that the data I obtained
> may be refused with many arguments ... but I liked to reproduce this
> experiment.

That's a really interesting thing. I just would like to call the attention for
one the things that may cause very different results. Try compiling a not so
small LaTeX document (I've done it with one of my undergraduation reports):

$ time latex <some document>.tex

It's amazing to see (at least for me) that XTerm wins gnome-terminal really easy
(sorry, I don't have KDE terminal emulator to do the same tests). That's
actually one of the reasons I've never used "fancy" terminal emulators, since
I'm using LaTeX frequently.

Hope this doesn't get too off-topic. ;)

Regards,
Adriano