Desktop and Panel grow excessively

Andrew Lees andrewl at acay.com.au
Sat Feb 18 01:13:26 CET 2006

Hi,

I have been using xfce4 for a long time with no changes that I can
recall, but suddenly xfdesktop version 4.2.2 and xfce4-panel Version
4.2.2 are gradually growing without letup, so that over 24 hours their
combined size is ~1.7GB.  The only change that I can think of that might
be causing this is that I have increased ram from 512M to 1G (not yet
changed to flat kernel, so ~900M available).

Uname -a says:

Linux tornado3 2.6.12-12mdkcustom #1 Mon Oct 10 16:46:39 EST 2005 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz unknown GNU/Linux

The distribution is Mandriva 2006-0.

xfdesktop --version says:

        This is xfdesktop version 4.2.2 for Xfce 4.2.2
        built with GTK+-2.6.7, linked with GTK+-2.8.3.

xfce4-panel --version says:

 The Xfce Panel
 Version 4.2.2

The same version of gtk (2.8.3) has been in use for many months with
only the text overrun problem evident as a problem.  Only in the last
week has the memory growth shown.  Prior to this, the desktop has been
up for 3-4weeks with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Andrew lees