xfce4-mixer problem

Jonathan Gardner bohemian72 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 16:08:50 CET 2006

Hi all.

Yesterday I installed a new sound card in my computer and I've experimenting
with different methods of trying to get both the card and the onboard sound
to work. I have my reasons, but anyway, ever since I installed the new card,
xfce4-mixed  panel plugin crashes the panel. Sometimes it was so  bad that
the panel would crash when  I merely tried to open the list of items to add.
Other times I could open the list but it would crash once I selected the
Volume plugin.
Initially the panel wouldn't open at all, untill I manually removed the
group that included the volume plugin from both .xfce4/xfce4rc and
.config/xfce4/panel/.... darn! I don't remember the exact files, I'm at work
now.
I'm just wondering, is it something about the new sound card's mixer which
is giving the plugin grief, or is it the fact I'm trying to work with two
sound cards.
The new sound card is a SoundBlaster Live 24bit, which I discovered, much to
my chagrin is NOT an emu10k1 card, but some crippled thing with no hardware
mixing and hardly any ports. I may return it, but if I can get both that and
my on board sound, an AC97 on a nforce2 mobo working, I'll have all the
sound I need.

That was way too wordy for a simple question, but this seems a unique
situation and I'm really at a loss as to what could be causeing the volume
plugin problems.

Thanks,
Jonathan