xfce4-terminal has no shell

Matthias Schäfer m.schaefer at koios.de
Wed Feb 15 22:35:58 CET 2006

sofar wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:21:47 +0100, Matthias Schäfer <m.schaefer at koios.de> wrote:
>

>>I'm using the latest svn version under a debian system (testing).
>>
>>If I start the xfce4-terminal, i don't get a shell. The terminal window
>>opens normally (menu works, it doesn't freeze) but there is no shell in
>>the window. I can see the cursor in the area, where the shell normally
>>has to be but it happens nothing.
>>
>>Anyone an idea what it could be?
>>

>no but you can try tracking it down easily. Try pressing ^C or ^Z in the terminal
>to see if there is a shell (albeit busy or not) in the terminal. Using
>strace (strace -f xfce4-terminal) might provide hints as to what might occupy the
>or terminal too. Things like non-working dns can even be the cause of this, or
>not having /dev/pts mounted.
>
>g'luck,
>
>Auke

Yes, I did those things. strace repeats permanent the following 4 lines
when the xfce4-terminal has loaded:
poll([{fd=3, events=POLLIN}], 1, 249)   = 0
gettimeofday({1140039040, 871036}, NULL) = 0
ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0])                 = 0
gettimeofday({1140039040, 871200}, NULL) = 0

I can't use that. Anyone of you?