xfce4-terminal has no shell

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Feb 15 22:22:59 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:21:47 +0100, Matthias Schäfer <m.schaefer at koios.de> wrote:
> I'm using the latest svn version under a debian system (testing).
>
> If I start the xfce4-terminal, i don't get a shell. The terminal window
> opens normally (menu works, it doesn't freeze) but there is no shell in
> the window. I can see the cursor in the area, where the shell normally
> has to be but it happens nothing.
>
> Anyone an idea what it could be?

no but you can try tracking it down easily. Try pressing ^C or ^Z in the terminal
to see if there is a shell (albeit busy or not) in the terminal. Using
strace (strace -f xfce4-terminal) might provide hints as to what might occupy the
or terminal too. Things like non-working dns can even be the cause of this, or
not having /dev/pts mounted.

g'luck,

Auke