[ot] Xgl and Compiz WM

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Feb 14 21:07:01 CET 2006

Harold Aling wrote:

> I just installed Xgl and Compriz using these instructions:
> http://www.sebastian-bergmann.de/blog/archives/574-Xgl-and-Compiz.html
>
> It looks and feels pretty darn cool!

Beside the 3D effects, the translucents windows and menus are all in
xfwm4 already (and it's been like that since xfce 4.2, so its nothing
new). And if you are running NVidia proprietary drivers, it's very fast.

> Besides that Nvidia's twinview stopped working, I have a problem with
> XFWM4...
>
> Before enabling Compriz, I had to kill XFWM4. After Compriz is loaded,
> XFWM4 will not start: ** (xfwm4:23121): WARNING **: Another Window
> Manager is already running
>
> Now I don't have decorated windows anymore...

Only one window manager can run at a time. If you run another window
manager, xfwm4 will not start (neither will any other window manager).

> In the instructions there was a mention of gnome having a separate
> binary for the window  decorator (gnome-window-decorator). Can this also
> be accomplished with XFWM4?

You cannot run 2 window managers at the same time. It has nothing to do
with xfwm4. I'm sorry, but you have to make a choice.

Cheers,
Olivier.