XFCE Hangs

John Lee johnleemk at gawab.com
Thu Feb 9 17:52:15 CET 2006

sofar wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:23:44 +0800, John Lee <johnleemk at gawab.com> wrote:
>

>>Until yesterday, I was using X.org's XFree86/X11 on Arch Linux 0.7
>>(Wombat) with XFCE 4.2.0. Because XFCE has a knack for hanging on my
>>computer (as often as three or four times a day), I just upgraded to
>>XFCE 4.2.3.2. This hasn't helped much, though.
>>
>>Sometimes just when I click on something, XFCE hangs. The mouse cursor
>>can still move, however. It's only XFCE, because my gAIM and XChat beep
>>when I get new messages.
>>

>this sounds like the infamous NVIDIA bug - it's most likely not Xfce at all
>who is causing the hang. Are you using the binary NVIDIA driver?
>
>Auke

I'm not exactly sure how to tell; here's the relevant section of my X
config file:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "** NVIDIA (generic)                   [nv]"
    Driver      "nv"
    #VideoRam    65536
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

I experienced no problems when I ran KDE for the whole day yesterday, so
I naturally presumed this is an XFCE problem. I'm using the Athlon64,
btw. I read the relevant threads on nvnews related to stability, but
they seem to presume a familiarity with patching the nVidia drivers.

John Lee