Starting Over

Net Llama! netllama at linux-sxs.org
Wed Feb 8 20:46:04 CET 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> Net Llama! wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> >
> >> I would like to delete XFCE4 and reinstall it.  The reason is that, when
> >> last I logged onto xfce4 the desktop selector was missing from the panel
> >> and when I called up more than one Internet-using application, the
> >> desktop froze.
> >>

> > Using a sledgehammer to to pound in a nail rarely turns out well.  Why do
> > you think that your entire XFCE installation is at fault?  Is this problem
> > present for multiple users?  Which version of XFCE do you have installed?
> >

> >> I am using SuSE 10.  How do I delete and reinstall the latest XFCE4 for
> >> this system?
> >>

> > Depends on how you installed it.
> >

> Thanks for answering me so quickly! This is a single-user installation.

running adduser takes about 2 seconds.  surely that would be less time
than reinstalling everything only to find out that the problem was with
your one user's configuration.

> I think I have the latest bug-fixed version of XFCE4, which I installed
> over a previous version of XFCE4 for SuSE 9.2 (which functioned ok when
> I upgraded). The abruptness of the change in the desktop in terms of the
> bottom-of-screen panel (missing the desktop icons) and behavior with
> applications made me think that tinkering with the set-up would probably
> take a great deal of time and produce testiness and frustration. In such
> a case, burning down the building and rebuilding it to specs is better
> than finding why the thing malfunctions and then hoping that that was
> the only thing, so that repairing it would be enough.

Unless you're hitting a bug in the version of XFCE that you have
installed, and the version you intend to (re)install is newer, and that
bug is fixed, reinstalling is going to be a waste of time.

Lonni J Friedman                        netllama at linux-sxs.org
LlamaLand				http://netllama.linux-sxs.org