[SPAMKLASSAT av SU] Why is HAL being required for xfce-session4 ?

Jérémie jeremie.bellini at laposte.net
Wed Dec 27 22:29:17 CET 2006

Hi ! I'm a gentoo user and I've seen that "hal" is a USEFLAG of XFCE
4.4r2. I'm not using the gentoo ebuild but the XFCE Installer (it seems
to work better for me and I don't really like to unmask so much
packages). Therefore, when I installed XFCE I didn't have any option to
tell it if I wanted HAL support or not. I recently tried to uninstall
HAL (I prefer to use a good ol' fstab with the Mount Panel Plugin) and
it completely fucked up my session manager (it also prevented my wifi
interface to be recognized at boot, I don't understand why but it's not
really XFCE related).

My question is, what HAL is used for in XFCE session manager ? Is it
possible to disable this association without losing too much functionality ?

(Off Topic,it is possible to left HAL installed but tell it not to
handle mass storage ?)

Thanks, and God Jul !

--
Jérémie