Happy Holidays and possible minor bug report against 4.4RC2

Timothy White xfce.users at weirdo.bur.st
Tue Dec 26 06:56:41 CET 2006

>         Also, I have found a strangeness that I would like to see if anyone
> else can reproduce before I go filing bug reports.  The situation is
> thus: I am unable to copy from Mousepad to Terminal.
>
>         What I have is text in Mousepad that I want to use Ctrl-C to copy and
> then use Ctrl-V to paste onto the command line of a Terminal session.  I
> have tried with both the keyboard keys and by using the mouse
> R1-to-highlight and R3-to-paste but neither will work.  I am, however,
> able to do this using nedit & gvim.  FWIW, gedit and kedit both
> exhibited the same problem but all five editors worked pasting to a
> regular xterm.  I think the problem might be on Terminal but that's just
> a guess on my part.

I can copy both with mouse select, and Ctrl+C. Copied with mouse
select, I can paste with mouse (for me, middle click). Copied with
Ctrl+C, I can paste with "Ctrl+Shift+P" which is the paste shortcut as
seen under the terminal Edit menu. I can also use "Paste Selection"
from that menu to paste what ever the mouse has selected, same as
middle click.

As far as I can see, Ctrl+V is not a paste shortcut for terminal,
although it may be for other applications.
I have verified this both from mousepad, and gedit. I think your just
using the wrong key combination or something.

Tim
p.s. Don't forget, copy and paste can be funny under linux. You have 2
"buffers". What ever is selected by the mouse at the current time, and
what has been copied to the clipboard buffer. They are separate,
although can appear to be the same, because you select some text,
press Ctrl+C, and the same text is in both buffers :p
--
Linux Counter user #273956
Don't email joeblogs at scouts.org.au