mount plugin

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 04:41:38 CET 2006

On 12/22/06, Terry <teaman at exemail.com.au> wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> > JoeHill wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:32:32 +0100 (CET)
> >> timystery at arcor.de got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> >> I absolutely agree. That's why I asked if there was just something I could put
> >> in the rcfile. I wasn't too worried about my 'stupidity', just jokin' around,
> >> what I was really concerned about, I guess, is depending on the size of your
> >> panel, you get distracted... accidents could happen to *anyone*, so, to be
> >> honest, I kinda resent the implication. It was a simple question, not an attack
> >> on your project. If your reply was in response to a perceived attack, I
> >> apologize, I didn't mean it that way at all.
> >>

> > This is really a non-issue.  1) Non-root users won't be able to unmount
> > /, /home, etc.  2) Even root can't unmount a filesystem that's in use.
> > Go ahead:  open a terminal, 'su' to root, and type 'umount /'.  Watch
> > while it says "device is busy" and just ignores you.  If you unmount a
> > filesystem that isn't in use, then... so what?  Nothing bad will happen.
> >
> >       -brian
>
> What I find curious is that, as a user, I cannot ordinarily mount a
> partition on the hard drive.  Instead, I get the message: mount: only
> root can do that
>
> Yet, using the plugin, I can mount any partition (except swap).  =-O
>
> It's very convenient for a single user but is it according to Hoyle?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The plugin can't "get around" OS
security(*). If the plugin can mount and unmount then there must be
some condition under which your OS allows users to do the mount (such
as pmount or the dbus mount tools). I'm not real familiar with the
mount plugin, so the details aren't at hand.

> --
>
> Xfce on PCLinuxOS, OOo 2.0.2 (en_GB).
> Direct mail to teaman is not opened; if necessary, email realmail

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room