mount plugin

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Sat Dec 23 02:27:40 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:32:32 +0100 (CET)
>> timystery at arcor.de got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>>

>>> Well, I am not gonna implement some "I'm a stupid user" options - this ain't
>>> a Windoze plugin.
>>>
>> I absolutely agree. That's why I asked if there was just something I could put
>> in the rcfile. I wasn't too worried about my 'stupidity', just jokin' around,
>> what I was really concerned about, I guess, is depending on the size of your
>> panel, you get distracted... accidents could happen to *anyone*, so, to be
>> honest, I kinda resent the implication. It was a simple question, not an attack
>> on your project. If your reply was in response to a perceived attack, I
>> apologize, I didn't mean it that way at all.
>>

> This is really a non-issue.  1) Non-root users won't be able to unmount
> /, /home, etc.  2) Even root can't unmount a filesystem that's in use.
> Go ahead:  open a terminal, 'su' to root, and type 'umount /'.  Watch
> while it says "device is busy" and just ignores you.  If you unmount a
> filesystem that isn't in use, then... so what?  Nothing bad will happen.
>
> 	-brian

What I find curious is that, as a user, I cannot ordinarily mount a
partition on the hard drive.  Instead, I get the message: mount: only
root can do that

Yet, using the plugin, I can mount any partition (except swap).  =-O

It's very convenient for a single user but is it according to Hoyle?

--

Xfce on PCLinuxOS, OOo 2.0.2 (en_GB).
Direct mail to teaman is not opened; if necessary, email realmail