mount plugin

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 22 19:53:10 CET 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 19:32:32 +0100 (CET)
timystery at arcor.de got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Well, I am not gonna implement some "I'm a stupid user" options - this ain't
> a Windoze plugin.

I absolutely agree. That's why I asked if there was just something I could put
in the rcfile. I wasn't too worried about my 'stupidity', just jokin' around,
what I was really concerned about, I guess, is depending on the size of your
panel, you get distracted... accidents could happen to *anyone*, so, to be
honest, I kinda resent the implication. It was a simple question, not an attack
on your project. If your reply was in response to a perceived attack, I
apologize, I didn't mean it that way at all.

> Perhaps an option to exclude mount points by adding them to the config file

That was what I was asking about. If there's an Include, I thought there might
be an Exclude :-)

> will be added some day, but it will take away the second purpose - to act as
> 'df'.

No problemo. I would very much like to see that kind of info, however, as I
said above, there *are* accidents, nothing to do with stupidity, and so
therefore I believe I had a legitimate question about the risks.

> Of course you are free and even encouraged to create a "Removable Media"
> plugin to only show user (un)mountable file systems. But actually, the
> ability to simply use the ordinary (u)mount commands ensures just the
> necessary security to not umount important file systems as an ordinary user -
> and root knows what (s)he's doing 'cause (s)he's root...

Ah, okay, so it's like John said above, I wouldn't be able to do it anyway,
accidentally or otherwise.

> And before closing this thread... there's a goodies mailing list for
> discussing goodies.

Did not know that, thanks :-)