Sound distortion

tomw at videotron.ca tomw at videotron.ca
Thu Dec 21 03:36:06 CET 2006

Thank you for your replies Brian and Olivier. By the way I meant no criticism of xfce, the problem is probably the nut behind the keyboard .... as usual ;-) Xfce is wonderful environment I could never go back to using KDE or GNOME.

I think the problem maybe related to when I installed xfce. When I compiled the first beta release using the GUI installer I received a error message about not finding a required ALSA component. At the time I recalled having read something somewhere about Debian / ALSA problems ... so I assumed that the ALSA component was missing from Ubuntu since it's based on Debian.  The more likely explanation is that I need to install a
required ALSA dev package. I will try again when the final version of xfce is released until then I will try
Brian's suggestion.

At some point I will post a list of all the dev packages required to compile xfce correctly using the GUI installer.

Thanks again.