Transparent Panels

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 19 19:19:29 CET 2006

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:56:29 +0100
Mike Massonnet got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> > http://www.freeyourmachine.org/likin_it.png
>
> Nice!

Thanks! Took long enough... ;-)

> I dunno how you installed Terminal, but if you did it by compiling from
> sources, and you have libvte >= 0.13.3,

Heh. Here I go again. I'm on Mandriva 2006. I spend a *lot* of time building
things from source, doing the dependency dance (the libvte's connected to the
libvfs and the libvfs is connected to the...). Fun times! My libvte is, let's
see, from oh, Feb 2005. Wow, that's pretty good for MDV these days...

> then you can apply the second
> patch from this page:
> http://mmassonnet.blogspot.com/2006/11/real-traparent-terminal-yet-again.html
> So you will be able to set the opacity of the solid background.

Wait...so, the terminal won't be just using the root window image? It'll
*actually* be transparent, ie. show icons or whatever is underneath? Whoa.

I'll give it shot!

BTW, I notice in that shot you posted that the panel at the top is pretty darn
near hmmm, say 35%? But the *icons* seem to remain 'focused'. I find with mine
it fades the icons as well. Is this something new in RC2?

...heh, and here I thought I wouldn't get anything productive done today.

Man, the first time I installed XFCE I couldn't see how it could possibly get
better. Holy crap. I really gotta get a new GF card. Then I'll just be in
heaven.
--
JoeHill / RLU #282046