[SPAMKLASSAT av SU] Info tags on desktop?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Dec 15 08:50:21 CET 2006

Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :

> Nope, no way to disable it, and it doesn't obey any gtk-tooltips
> gtkrc rule, if such a rule exists.  Someone should file a bug to
> make at least that possible, but I'm not adding a separate pref to
> disable them just for xfdesktop.
>
> Why do you want to disable them?  Do they actually present a
> usability problem, or do you just find them annoying?

I'm a sysadmin in a "Communauté de Communes" in South France, that's a
group of 16 villages. There's a pilot project to migrate all the public
libraries and town halls from Windows (98, 2000, XP) to Linux. My goal
is to configure an "idiot-proof" desktop: crisp, clean and secure, and
it has to be able to run on older hardware also. Several distributions
were tried, and my choice fell on Slackware 11.0 with a hand-built
XFCE-4.4.

So far, users around here begin to really like the shiny new desktops.
Actually, I'm trying to sand down edges a bit, and the desktop tooltips
are such an edge (a tiny one, I admit). Users have finally integrated
the concept of "double-clicking" on a desktop icon to start an
application. For instance, the employees at the public library here in
Montpezat double-click on the "PMB" icon (representing a pile of books
:oD) to start the public library management software. BUT... when
hovering over the icon, the tooltip appears, displaying information that
is useless ("Genre: desktop configuration file / LastModified:
2006-12-07 / Size: 223 B") AND... prevents the double-click from
working. Since the first click makes the tooltip disappear... and the
second click is considered as the first click on the icon. I've watched
people work here, and everyone seems to have problems with this sort of
behaviour.

Cheers,

Niki