tuXlab / xfce

Scott Jones scottj.org at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 04:40:49 CET 2006

On Monday 11 December 2006 21:25, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 21:23 -0500, Erik Harrison wrote:
> > HP developed a set of Linux thin clients about 2 years ago. The
> > default desktop on those is indeed Xfce.
>
> 	I remember back in ALS '99 (or was it '98?  Olivier?) when Sun was
> making noise about moving from CDE to GNOME.  Some of us (ok, maybe it
> was just me) kept trying to get them to look at Xfce instead.  Back then
> Xfce had better CDE'like'ness, if that makes any sense, and would have
> been a perfect fit for them.  But no one listens to me.

Actually, back when I was packaging 4.0.x for SuSE 8.x, Sun was the biggest
consumer of bandwidth on my site from downloading the packages.  Number 2 was
IBM, then navy.mil was third.  At the time, Sun Java Desktop was based on
SuSE 8.0 but used Gnome as the default desktop.  I guess they preferred
something that looked more like CDE over there in Santa Clara.