tuXlab / xfce

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 03:23:20 CET 2006

On 12/11/06, tomw at videotron.ca <tomw at videotron.ca> wrote:
> This article mentions the tuXlab distor's choice of the xfce desktop:
>
> http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1305
>
> The relevant quote is:
>
> "In tuXlab we have opted for the lightweight XFCE desktop, which proves to be an excellent alternative to the Gnome desktop environment in a thin client environment."
>
> Seems xfce is making a name for itself in thin client environments .... didn't HP make xfce this choice as well for it's thin clients?

HP developed a set of Linux thin clients about 2 years ago. The
default desktop on those is indeed Xfce. Though they're packing on the
high end model at least good old fashioned Debian, easy to swap
desktops in that case.

Xfce is a good choice for modern thin clients, especially since those
clients aren't very thin anymore. Xfce doesn't have to slim down to
offer them a nice desktop that fits easily into their memory
constraints.

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room