XFCE crashing -

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Tue Dec 5 20:55:59 CET 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:58:33 -0500
bobgoodwin at wildblue.net (Bob Goodwin) wrote:

> I'm running the xfce4 that comes with FC6 Linux.  I was looking at
> the various icon options, high contrast, etc., and it crashed and now
> continues to do so.

Do you see any error? What is crashing? Can you not login?

> Perhaps there is a file I can change to get it back to the default
> condition on start up?

You could try moving your ~/.config dir aside and logging in again.
That will mean loosing all your configuration however.

> The alternative is to yum remove xfce and start over but then I will
> loose a lot of set up stuff I'd rather not have to re-do.

If the issue is in your local config, removing and re-installing the
packages won't help.

> when it crashes I am left with the normal blue desktop that I
> selected but the panels are gone.

Is there anything in your ~/.xsession-errors file?

> Any suggestions short of return to square one?

Sounds like the panel might be dying? Can you hit alt-f2 and get the
'run command' dialog? If so can you try running 'xfdesktop' in it?
Does that bring things back up?

> Bob Goodwin

kevin