Menu commands to open applications as root - how to?

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg at serverhive.com
Sat Dec 2 12:42:24 CET 2006

Στις Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:51:59 +1100
Ο/Η Terry <teaman at exemail.com.au> έγραψε:

> Stavros Giannouris wrote:
> > Στις Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:53:27 -0500
> > Ο/Η Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> έγραψε:

> >> 	Whither this gnomesu?  I did a "yum search gnomesu" but
> >> came up with nothing.
> >>

> > Fedora/RHEL use the homegrown consolehelper(-gtk) package that does
> > the same thing.
> >
> > --
> > Stavros Giannouris
>
> Do you know how to use that programme?  According to the man page:
>
> [quote]
> This program has no command line options of its own; it passes all
> command line options on to the program it is calling.
> [unquote]
>
> But you cannot just call the programme.  How do you get it involved?

Create a symlink to /usr/bin/consolehelper as the name of the program
you need to run as root (e.g. if you need to run /sbin/foo
as user, then symlink /usr/bin/foo -> /usr/bin/consolehelper) and then a
pam configuration for it in /etc/pam.d
This is a packager's job normally though.

Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org
PGP Key: http://stavrosg.serverhive.com/files/GnuPG.key
"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Please copy me to your signature  to help me spread"