I cannot get the shutdown and reboot options

Terry teaman at exemail.com.au
Fri Dec 1 04:13:21 CET 2006

Alexander Toresson wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 17:13 +1100, Terry wrote:
>>

>>> The air here is fairly blue at present.  I just used visudo to edit a
>>> copy of the original file.  How could anyone enjoy using that infernal
>>> excuse for an editor?
>>>
>>         It's like learning how to drive a stick.  It's a real pain and can be
>> very challenging but once you know it you can't imaging walking
>> everywhere instead of driving ever again.  But if the vi commands are
>> still not your thing just run the gui version of it.  Point-n-click you
>> way all over the place.
>>

> Well, it's not that hard, the basics are quite simple. The concept one
> must learn is that of modes. The most used and most common modes are
> command mode and input mode. When vi starts, it's in command mode.
> Press i to get into input mode, then edit the file like you would with
> any file, then to save and quit, press escape to get back into command
> mode, then type :wq<enter>.
>
> (note for Joe: this info is meant for Terry)
>
> Regards, Alexander Toresson

A text editor with power?  Sorry, I can't see the need.  It almost
sounds like an oxymoron.

I can use Kate (a Kde editor) without learning a lot of keybindings of
no other relevance; in fact, I can open most text editors and use them
without doing any study at all.  I have the file done and ready to
install within minutes.

Who needs to spend days and tear one's hair out just to do some typing?
Usually, all I need to do is uncomment a few lines or alter a few
variables.  It isn't the highlight of my day.  This is another of those
quaint Linux obsessions, getting devoted to a text editor of all things.
;-)

Anyway, the direction to the effect that the file has to be edited with
visudoedit is a lie (as I suspected).

It turned out that my efforts worked once I installed a later version of
Xfce.

--

Xfce on PCLinuxOS, OOo 2.0.2 (en_GB).
Direct mail to teaman is not opened; if necessary, email realmail.