Desktop Linux survey

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Thu Aug 24 22:39:38 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 22:32 +0200, Alexander Toresson wrote:

> >         dpkg is no different than rpm.  They are package formats
> > only.  The apt tools are an independent utility that also was ported
> > to rpm.  The rpm based distros now have yum, which is the equivalent
> > of apt, so there's no advantage for Debian there.
> >

> Yes, they're trying to do roughly the same thing, but I wouldn't say
> that they're equivalent just for that...

	I don't know, I've used both and haven't found anything I wanted to do
in apt that I couldn't do in yum.  Since both work nicely on Fedora I
can use either one (as well as up2date, if I wanted to).

	But this is getting way more OT than intended.  If there's anything you
want to continue in this thread feel free to email me directly.  Not for
flames but for discussion and education (in both directions).